Trails of the Red Dzao
3 days & 2 nights at Topas Ecolodge
Lace up your hiking boots and get ready to learn about the ancient traditions and fascinating culture of the Red Dzao tribes populating the area around Topas Ecolodge and Topas Riverside Lodge over this 3-day introduction to some of Sapa’s most remote areas and epic natural scenery.
Price: please enquire
Trip Type: Active | Hiking Level: Moderate | Service Level: Standard
Product Code: SEH3
- Hiking on a variety of trails through rice terraces, corn fields, mountain roads and valley footpaths.
- Learning about one of Vietnam’s most interesting ethnic minority groups – the Red Dzao.
- Relaxing in total comfort in your private bungalow at Topas Ecolodge
- Hiking enthusiasts and culture lovers
- Families with primary-school aged children and older, couples, and solo travellers
- Getting off the beaten tourist track and seeing a different side of Sapa
Day 1: Introduction to Sapa | Hanoi - Noi Bai Airport - Topas Ecolodge
Head for the impressive mountains and valleys of Sapa aboard the comfortable Topas Mountain Express, a plush minivan outfitted with snacks water, and Wi-Fi for the five-hour journey from Hanoi to Topas Ecolodge, starting from 6:30 am. Arrive just in time to enjoy lunch at leisure in the Stilt House Restaurant or to stretch your legs on your bungalow’s private balcony.
Then head out at 14:00 for a 3-hour hike to Lech Village, a Red Dzao community high in the mountains of Thanh Kim commune surrounded by rice terraces and magnificent views.
Your guide will teach you about Red Dzao standards of beauty as well as aspects of daily life in the village before returning to Topas Ecolodge to catch an unbelievable sunset from the infinity pools’ upper deck.
Included Meals: N/A
Activities: 5h transfer – 3h Red Dzao discovery hike
Pick-up from residences/hotels in Hanoi’s Old Quarter between 6:30 – 7:00. Flight must arrive to Noi Bai Airport by 8:00 in order to join this program.
Day 2: Deep in the jungle | Topas Ecolodge - Nam Cang Commune
Take a drive down the mountain after breakfast this morning to remote Nam Cang Village and have a brief tour learning about embroidery and silversmithing up close and personal in different Red Dzao homes before starting a 1-hour up-hill walk through lush green jungles and glittering rice fields to our latest attraction, a brand-new mountain hut framed by rushing rivers and rice paddies, the scene of our sumptuous Sapa-inspired BBQ lunch.
Rest inside or take advantage of the stunning scenery and climb over make-shift suspension bridges while the BBQ is set up. Whatever the case, make sure to sample the wide array of freshly smoked trout, vegetables, tofu, mushrooms, and jungle herbs straight from the grill.
Once you’ve had enough to eat, make the return 1-hour walk back to Nam Cang Village and catch the van back to Topas Ecolodge for an afternoon at leisure.
Included Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Activities: 2.5h transfer – 30 – 45′ village visit – 2h jungle hike
Day 3: Time to say good-bye | Topas Ecolodge - Noi Bai Airport - Hanoi
The day is yours at leisure until a 14:30 departure for Hanoi via the Topas Mountain Express. Sunbathe and splash in the two infinity pools, sample delicious cuisine at the restaurant, breathe in the fresh mountain air from your bungalow’s patio, or indulge in some locally-inspired treatments at the wonderful spa on site.
We also have a selection of amazing day-tours to choose from if you prefer to be more active. Let us know if you’d like to add any of them when making your booking!
Included Meals: Breakfast
Activities: 5h transfer
Drop off at Noi Bai Airport between 19:00 – 19:30, so please book return flights accordingly.
Drop off at residences and/or hotels in Tay Ho or Hoan Kiem between 19:30 – 20:00.
- Join-in Topas Mountain Express direct shuttle between Hanoi and Topas Ecolodge
- 2 nights in a premium executive bungalow at Topas Ecolodge
- All meals as indicated in the program
- All entrance tickets and permits to local villages and Hoang Lien National Park
- Nam Cang shuttle bus on Day 2
- Free refillable water during transfers and at Topas Ecolodge (Please check with your guide or driver and bring your own water bottle)
- 1 bilingual (ENG and VN) speaking local tour guide on day 1 and 2 hikes
- Government Value Added Tax
- Maximum group size of 10 people allowed during activities
- Pick-up destinations and times are as follows
- From Hanoi’s Old Quarter or Tay Ho Districts – 6:30 – 7:00 am
- From Noi Bai Airport – your flight must arrive by 8:00 am to join this program
- Prices are quoted in VND
- If the lodges are closed or travel bans/restrictions apply, booking date can be amended and/or transferred to another person for use with written confirmation from Topas Ecolodge